Friday, May 22, 2015

The Sulphurs are Coming!

The Big Three

Left-to-Right:  LTD Sulphur, CDC Sulphur, Thorax Sulphur


Reports of Sulphur hatches are beginning to come in and that means time to double-check the bins of the "big three".  For me, these three patterns comprise nearly all of my Sulphur fishing on top throughout the season.




The LTD is my go-to pattern, crossing over nicely from emerger, to cripple and dun. 

Recipe
Hook:  Standard #14 Dry
Thread: Olive Dun 8/0 Uni-thread
Tail/Abdomen:  Pheasant Tail fibers
Thorax:  Sulphur Poly
Hackle:  Golden Badger
Wing: Dun CDC




The CDC Sulphur is where I turn on skinny water when the fish are refusing the LTD. 


Recipe
Hook:  Standard #14 Dry
Thread: Olive Dun 8/0 Uni-thread
Tail/Abdomen:  Medium Pardo CDL
Abdomen:  Sulphur Goose Biot
Hackle:  Golden Badger
Wing: Dun CDC




The Thorax Sulphur is where I go in the riffles and when the fish are actively pursuing the hatch. Its at those times when only a dun pattern can make the difference.


Recipe
Hook:  Standard #14 Dry
Thread: Olive Dun 8/0 Uni-thread
Tail:  Medium Pardo CDL
Abdomen/Thorax:  Sulphur Poly
Hackle:  Silver Badger
Wing: Dun Turkey Flat


I know what I'll be tying on in the coming months. I hope it adds to your box as well.

Good luck and see you on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment